A bridal shower is a chance for the bride-to-be to get together with her closest family and friends to celebrate her upcoming wedding. And of course to shower the bride-to-be with gifts!
The maid or matron of honor is usually the person that will host the bridal shower with the help of the other bridesmaids. Planning a bridal shower is a labor of love. It will be a memorable occasion for the bride-to- be with her inner-circle before the big day. There are many different themes and ways to throw a bridal shower, from traditional ideas to newer ideas. However, there are certain key components for every bridal shower that you should keep in mind. Below are some tips to help you get started. Be creative and enjoy planning your bride-to-be’s bridal shower!
- Make a Guest List – If the bridal shower is a surprise, you may need to have the groom, mother of the bride and others help you compile a guest list. If it’s not a surprise shower you can have the bride help you. The bridal shower should be made up of close friends, family and co-workers. Shower invites should only be sent to those people that will also receive a wedding invitation; unless of course the wedding is small and intimate with family and close friends only.
- Set a Shower Date – The shower date should be anywhere within two months of the wedding day. Again, if it’s a surprise check with the groom for a good date, if it’s not a surprise you can ask the bride herself for a date she will be available. Sunday’s seem to be the most popular day for bridal showers and most people are off from work as well.
- Pick a Shower Theme – Picking a theme makes planning the shower easier and will allow you to coordinate the decorations, invitations, favors and the like.
- Shower Invitations – Once you have the date set you can send out invitations with an RSVP date. You should also include the theme of the shower as well. Also include information about where the wedding couple is registered. Some people like to buy a gift off of the wedding registry, while some choose to buy their own gift. They can follow the theme or the registry, either way they can’t go wrong!
- The food menu will depend on the theme of the shower and the timing as well. You may choose to include a lunch meal or light snacks and appetizers. The cake should also match the bridal shower theme as much as possible.
- Activities and Games – There are many different games to choose from! Games are a great way to get everyone talking and mingling. Remember just because you all know the bride doesn’t mean you also know each other, this is a good way to get to know one another. Don’t forget to also pick up some prizes for those that win the activities. The prizes can be candles to candy, a special journal etc.
- Bridal Shower Favors – It is customary to give each person attending the shower a small favor. The shower favor does not have to be elaborate, it can be something simple yet nice that matches the theme of the wedding shower.
It may seem overwhelming at first but if you break down the shower into key points it will be much easier for you. Also you can then assign tasks to the family, friends and bridesmaids that have offered to help with the shower planning.
Hope this helps! 🙂